Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

One of those meals...

So for a once-a-year event, I decided to cook up a few favourites of my guest.
Menu:
- Fried wild mushroom and goat cheese risotto balls
- Chicken bacon ranch pizza
- Chocolate strawberries

So I started off making all the bacon à la EpicMealTime but using the toaster oven instead. I ended up doing 3 or 4 trays of these and saving the pool of bacon fat each time in a cup (I had a feeling it would come in handy later...)


Now the trick to cooking bacon is not to eat all of it before the meal starts. I found this to be quite difficult... So I basically, cook twice as much bacon as you need because you will eat half.


I cheated a little with the risotto and bought a wild mushroom flavour package. I just had to boil it and let it reduce, and cool it down...hence the spread out risotto on a plate. I thought it would be smart to use the bacon fat to flavour the risotto so I did :)


As that was cooling, I chopped all the other ingredients and made the pizzas! It's a pita bread as the base, ranch, cheddar and mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, green onions, chicken, bacon, and dill. Pretty easy.


Now for the risotto balls, I broke up goat cheese and put it inside the risotto. First, a coating of flour, an egg wash, and finished with panko bread crumbs. Ta da!


Now all that bacon fat was still sitting there...so I decided to fry the risotto balls IN BACON FAT. Now there wasn't quite enough so I added a little cooking oil (I use grapeseed). And boom we're done.


For dessert I melted down chocolate in a bowl over a steaming pot of water, and just rolled strawberries around in chocolate (and licked the chocolate bowl after).


Set the ambience and a successful meal was pulled off.


3 comments:

  1. wow wow wow cani marry you?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite at the point to commit, but thanks for the comment! :P

      Delete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete