Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

On Mangoes, Steak, and Fried Rice

So I grabbed a mango the other day and decided to just skin out and eat it like an apple. I think it's much more amazing when you sink your teeth into an entire mango (don't bite too hard on the pit) and chew. Wouldn't you agree? Either way it doesn't matter if you agree because I'll keep peeling my fruits and bite them   (and yes, I've done it to an orange :D )

The unlucky mango.

Before I left for my soccer game last night, I defrosted a steak and let the rice cooker go until I got back. Got back and stir-fried some bok choy (see http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/health/food-guide/bok-choy/~default) with a mashed clove of garlic and some ginger. De-glazed pan with 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/2 cup water. Rubbed some Montreal Steak Sauce on the red meat and seared each side for 2 min. 

                  

I'm still getting used to my new stove which is super powerful, so I'm gonna have to adjust next time by turning it down and cooking it longer. It was nice and tender on the inside, but a little too red because I felt my stomach mad at me today haha...

                  

Saved 1/3 of it for a sandwich the next day. Sandwich didn't happen. I just ate the leftovers out of the bowl with a salad haha.

And so we come to tonight's dinner: Fried Rice. You'd think Chinese people eat this stuff everyday because that's what you see at our restaurants. Well surprise surprise, it takes a lot of oil to make and since I don't want to acquire heart disease at age 25, fried rice doesn't happen too often.

I first fried an omelette and saved it on a plate. Fried what we call "lap cheung" which is technically a Chinese sausage but that just sounds weird to me. It's kinda sweet and also oily and bad for you (but soo good...it's like bacon to me). So I fried that, added chopped shallots, some more oil (there wasn't any oil when frying the lap cheung because....they fry in their own fat just like bacon...see how bad this is for you??), added chopped cucumber, corn, mushrooms, and whole scallops. Added some chicken broth for flavour and let it cook for a minute or so. Then added in the rice from last night (this is important: you can't add rice you just made because it's too gloopy. It has to be a little drier and you can do that by saving it in the fridge overnight). Drizzled in sesame seed oil, soya sauce, and added the eggs in at the end (so they wouldn't dry up). And voila:

                        
Heaven in my mouth.

Sad news: as I got the bowl of rice from my fridge, my hand hit the freezer door and I dropped the bowl. The rice wasn't touching too much of the floor but it had a bunch of shards on one side. Had to throw out half of it D:

                    

On a happy note I still have enough fried rice leftovers for another meal :) And omg I need to get to class now.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete